Get started

Sole trader

As a sole trader (self-employed) you run and are responsible for the business as a private person. No starting capital is required for sole traders. You need to register your business with the Swedish Tax Agency. You may also, but do not normally, need to register with the Swedish Companies Registration Office.

Tax registration

When starting up as a sole trader, you need to apply for F-tax and VAT registration and, where relevant, register as an employer with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). You can use our online service to apply for this permit. Your business will be identified by your personal ID number.

Trading or limited partnership

A trading partnership is an alternative if at least two natural persons or legal entities wish to start a business togetherThere is no requirement to invest capitalalthough the partners are personallyjointly and severally liable for the company’s debts. 

Register with the Swedish
Companies Registration Office 

A partnership must always be registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket). Following registration, the company is allocated a corporate identity number and receives protection for its business name. The company has exclusive rights to the name in the county in which it is based. It is possible to protect the name in other counties by making additional registrations with the Swedish Companies Registration Office.

Apply for F-tax and VAT registration 

The company must then register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The company need to apply for F-tax and VAT registration and, if relevant, register as an employer. As a partner you must complete a preliminary VAT and PAYE return (self assessment). Based on this self-tax assessment, the Swedish Tax Agency decides on your preliminary A tax (special A tax).

Other permits 

There might be other permits or registrations that you need to consider when starting your business. In our service Find permits you can find permits by category or in our list from A to Ö. You  can also find information on permits and registrations which are specific for a certain profession. Do you have a Swedish identity number? If you have a Swedish identity number and e-identification (e-legitimation in Swedish) you can use our e-services on (Mina sidor) for company registration. However, these are only available in Swedish.