Although you may not want to do this, it will make management much easier if you place some social distance between you and your employees. Although you can spend time together outside of work, avoid venting about the company and do not go overboard during happy hour. If you are going to be financially compensated […]
A famous quote by philosopher George Santayana states, “Those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.” History is filled with examples of spectacular business failures as well as amazingly successful business models. Discover what your heroes do well and learn about what went wrong for those who ended their careers early. […]
Showing your employees how to do something is more important than just telling them. If you want your staff to be punctual, then you must also be punctual or early. If you prioritize professionalism then dress for success and treat all contacts with courtesy. Your team wants someone to look up to and admire. Set […]
Even the most fair, modest and kindest leader has limitations. Therefore, on the path to becoming a better business leader, you must set boundaries and stick to them. Knowing what you are able to tolerate can save a lot of frustration at the end of the day. Maintaining those set boundaries helps to prevent future […]
Like in all aspects of life, communication is the key to success . When striving for becoming a better business leader, you must have excellent communication skills. The greatest leaders in history developed a reputation for being superb communicators because they knew their audience. In today’s business environment, there is little room for ambiguity as your […]
Being emotionally aware is often an overlooked yet critical skill toward becoming a better business leader. People always advise to keep emotions separate from business matters, yet business is about relationship development between people. Therefore, to maintain those relationships, you must be emotionally intelligent; which often means being sensitive to different backgrounds and points of […]
Another method of becoming a better business leader is through continuous self-improvement. The strongest leaders are often never content with themselves or their employees. Instead, they focus on continuous development and improvement for their company, employees, and themselves. Good leaders strive for new knowledge and have the ability to adopt and implement those ideas. They are […]
Having an open-door policy is excellent because it fosters conversation, honesty, and openness. One skill needed to become a better business leader is the ability to actively listen to the challenges faced by your employees. You then must work with them to correct the areas that are causing problems. However, you must also create boundaries […]
Uncover your blind spots. Leaders are often the last people to know what’s going on. Knowing that you have blind spots — and how to see past them — is an important step in uncovering employee disengagement.
18. Don’t give up! The key to success is to persevere. Every leader knows that giving up is not an option, even though it is wise to know how to quit intelligently. What about you? What do you do to be a good leader?
17. Team up Strengthen the team’s unity by doing activities to change daily routine, for instance, cultural acts, team buildings, or meetings outside the office.
16. Don’t be afraid Mistakes make you learn. Don’t be afraid of possible mistakes because of wrong decision making.
15. Pinpoint “motivators” They are those who work enthusiastically and pass it on to the rest of the team. Make the professional development of these people a priority.
14. Ask Ask people what it is that motivates them and also the things that discourage them. Work on taking the discouraging aspects out of the equation and focus on that which encourages them.
13. Demand A good leadership is demanding, step away from mediocrity. True motivation only appears by overcoming difficulties.
12. Congratulate and don’t point the finger Avoid pointing the finger to a specific person when there are mistakes, on the contrary, try to emphasize good performance whenever it happens. Positive feedback is fundamental to keep motivation and strengthen leadership.
11. Report problems For that very reason, you must report problems. Working together, the situation will be faced more efficiently and finding solutions and alternatives will be easier.
10. Be transparent Share information. Your team must know the circumstances which have an effect on the project they are part of.
9. Get your team involved Ask them how they are helping each other. Encourage them to improve.
8. Trust and delegate Trust your team and delegate tasks. You will find that things can be done in many different ways and you will encourage creativity.